Marguerite Johnston was exceptional even in the Golden Age of American Journalism. Her mastery of English was incomparable, and her integrity beyond question.
She was born in Birmingham, Alabama, descended from three generations of college graduates. After earning a Phi Beta Kappa degree from Birmingham-Southern College, she began her career as a reporter for the Birmingham News. She asked for and received the assignment of Washington correspondent for the last year of World War II. In 1946, she married Charles Wynn Barnes, a returning Navy veteran, whose profession as a petroleum geologist brought them to Houston.
When women were encouraged to stay at home, she raised four children while writing full time for the Houston Post. During forty years at the Post, she covered the organization of the United Nations and the founding of the Texas Medical Center, converted the women’s section to a lifestyle section, wrote a popular daily op-ed column, reviewed mysteries, wrote Mrs. Hobby’s speeches as well as her own, published feature articles, and ended as Assistant Editor of the Editorial Page. Her coverage of foreign affairs, alcoholism as a disease, and population control won her many awards. The excellence and prolificacy of her writing will never be matched.
Her research for A Happy Worldly Abode, a history of Christ Church Cathedral, the oldest church in Houston awakened her interest in early Houston and Texas history.
Her brilliance and cheerfulness drew many people, among them Houstonians with achievements of national significance. She used their achievements as the theme for her book, Houston the Unknown City. She was immensely proud of the city that had welcomed her warmly as a bride, of its philanthropy, the gentility of its early history, its international heritage, and its tolerance.
Throughout her life, she radiated goodness, faith in her fellow creatures, and gratitude for a blessed life. She met pain in her later years with courage to spare her family distress. She was revered and beloved by many who will always miss her.
JOHN L. MARGRAVE
John L. Margrave, E. D. Butcher Professor of Chemistry at Rice University, died December 18, 2003 after a brilliant career that spanned five decades. Dr. Margrave made a multitude of professional and personal contributions across diverse settings, exemplifying his commitment to scientific excellence and the larger community. He loved teaching and interacting with students of all ages, and his inspiration brought many students to the study of chemistry. He was recently honored by the American Institute of Chemists with the Chemical Pioneer Award for his ground-breaking research in the field of fluorine chemistry and for his work with high-temperature liquid metals. In July 2003, he and his research group received a third R & D 100 Award for his innovative work on fluorinating carbon nanotubes. His research, including more than 800 scientific publications, consistently expanded the frontiers of chemistry. He was elected to membership in the National Academy of Sciences in 1974. He was also elected as fellow of the American Institute of Chemists, the American Physical Society, and the American Association for the Advancement of Science.
Dr. Margrave and his research group often presented chemical magic shows for youth in libraries, schools, and the Houston Museum of Natural Science. He mentored more than 100 graduate students and 100 post-doctoral researchers during his career. Interacting with his students and sharing in their success and interests provided deep satisfaction in his professional life. For many years, Dr. and Mrs. Margrave have been Faculty Associates at Rice's Graduate House.
A graduate of Rosedale High School in Kansas City, Kansas, he achieved the honor of Eagle Scout as well as induction into the Mic-O-Say order of scouting. Dr. Margrave received his B.S. and Ph.D. degrees from the University of Kansas, Lawrence, where he was a Summerfield Scholar and a Slosson Graduate Fellow. He was named a Distinguished Alumnus of the University of Kansas in 1981. He pursued postdoctoral work at the University of California, Berkeley, where he received an Atomic Energy Commission Fellowship. In 1952, he joined the faculty at the University of Wisconsin, where he was an Alfred P. Sloan Fellow, a Guggenheim Research Fellow, and a recipient of the Kiekhofer Memorial Teaching Award.
In 1963, he joined the faculty at Rice University. During his tenure, he received dozens of the highest awards and honors in his field. He served in the U.S. Army in World War II and as a Chemical Corps reservist. In recent years he was the Navy ROTC representative for Rice.
Dr. Margrave served as Chair of the Rice University Department of Chemistry from 1967-1972, as Rice's Dean of Advanced Studies and Research from 1971-1980, and as Vice President for Advanced Studies and Research from 1980-1986. As a member of the National Academy of Sciences, Dr. Margrave served on key committees of the National Research Council related to nuclear safety, armaments, and demilitarization of chemical weapons. He was President and then Director of Sigma Xi from 1986-1992.
Dr. Margrave was born April 13, 1924, in Kansas City, Kansas to Orville F. and Bernice June Hamilton Margrave. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Mary Lou Davis Margrave; two children, David Margrave and his wife, Allison; and Karen Margrave Bornhofen and her husband, R.J.; and five grandchildren.
GEORGE C. MCGHEE
1912 - 2005
There are, of course, many men and women who have made major contributions to geophysical exploration for hydrocarbons and the oil industry. But it is doubtful that any have contributed so significantly over such a wide range--from pinpointing the location of a wildcat to delicate diplomacy among nations and major companies in different hemispheres (which would determine the course of the entire industry and the flow of astronomical amounts of money)--as George McGhee.
McGhee spent less than a decade of his professional life as a full-time exploration geophysicist, but that was sufficient to make a distinct impact. He worked as a subsurface geologist while a college student, which caused him to pick exploration as his profession. Following graduation from the University of Oklahoma (as a Phi Beta Kappa) in 1933, he joined Conoco's geophysical staff. He was a computer on the crew which made Conoco's first discovery in the Gulf Coast via reflection seismology. He also developed, in collaboration with the late E. V. McCullom, original ideas for estimating weathering corrections, ideas the company deemed of sufficient import to patent. He left Conoco to accept a Rhodes Scholarship at Oxford, where in 1937 he earned a doctorate in physical sciences based on the first seismic reflections obtained in England. After returning to the US, he became vice-president of National Geophysical Company, conducting the first reflection seismic survey in Cuba. He left National in 1940 to become a partner in the celebrated consulting firm of DeGolyer and MacNaughton, to which was added "McGhee."
McGhee served in the US Navy during World War II and, after earning the Legion of Merit and three battle stars, launched a new career in the diplomatic service. His success was virtually instantaneous and he spent nearly all of the next 25 years in a succession of key positions including coordinator for aid to Greece and Turkey--our first Cold War effort to contain Communism; ambassador to Turkey (1951-53); Under Secretary of State for Political Affairs (1961-63), and ambassador to West Germany (1963-68).
This second career was not completely divorced from geophysics and the oil industry. The US Government regularly took advantage of McGhee's expertise during the periodic "crises" which occurred. The most important such incident happened in late 1950 when McGhee, then Assistant Secretary of State for Near Eastern Affairs, brokered the complex "50-50" negotiations between Aramco and Saudi Arabia. The final agreement, which in pure cash terms must rank with the biggest business deals in history, was agreed to by the Aramco parents in his office.
Despite his distinguished diplomatic career after World War II, McGhee never lost interest in geophysics nor ever completely left the oil business. He has operated, with an enviable record of success, as an independent oil explorer/producer since 1940, having explored seismically 70 areas, leading to 34 wildcats which resulted in 13 oil fields. He still lists McGhee Production Company as his professional affiliation on SEG's membership roster. He also served as a director of Mobil Oil Company and Mobil Corporation from 1969 to 1982, as well as 11 other boards, and was chairman of Saturday Review.
Incredibly, McGhee has at least two other careers that are worthy of significant mention--heavy involvement in civic affairs (locally, nationally, and internationally) and as a writer.
The list of respected organizations which McGhee has assisted or served in a leadership capacity covers the better part of two typed pages. They include the chairmanship of the English Speaking Union, the Smithsonian National Associates, the National Academy of Sciences Advisory Committee to HUD, and membership in the President's Circle of the National Academy of Science. He served on four university boards and received four honorary degrees.
McGhee's writings are similarly diverse. He has published articles in peer-review scientific journals as well as in Foreign Affairs, the Washington Post, the New York Times, US News and World Report, and Reader's Digest. He has also been the author, editor, or co-author of at least eight books. One of these, the 1989 novel Dance of the Billions, is an extremely realistic and informed treatment of the oil industry--ranging from sophisticated seismic exploration to executive suite maneuvering to complex litigation--during the boom of the '70s. This book merits much wider readership than it has received.
SEG created the Special Commendation Award to recognize meritorious services to the public, the scientific community, or to the profession; and these services may have been performed via community leadership, professional leadership, or even outside the mainstream of geophysics. The biggest problem in giving this honor to George McGhee was to decide under which category to award it. He was qualified, supremely so, in every one! I suspect the creators of this award never imagined that a recipient would put the Society in such a dilemma.
D. J. SIBLEY
D.J. Sibley was born March 5, 1913 in Bertram Texas and grew up in West Texas. His family pursued ranching and business interests in Fort Stockton. D.J. received his BA from UT Austin and his M.D. from the UT Medical School in Galveston in 1937. D.J. left his residency to serve in the US Medical Corp, from 1940 – 1948. He fought in ten major encounters and was in command of the medical forces for the retaking of Corregidor north though Luzon, Keyte and Milne Bay in the Philippines.
In 1950, at the age of 37, D.J. married Jane Dunn Sibley. He practiced medicine and ranched until 1961. During this time, D.J. persuaded the bishop of the Rio Grande to let him start a mission in Fort Stockton, where he acted as lay reader. A gift of a tiny, historical Victorian one room church from Pecos that was rescued from the wrecking ball and moved by D.J. and Jane to Fort Stockton later became St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church. Together, they founded the Fort Stockton Historical Society, leaving the city a permanent gift of the Old Fort Parade ground, and their home, which was adjacent to it.
In 1962, D.J., Jane and their three children, Jake, Mahala and Hirum, moved to Austin, where he nourished his interest in ecology, range management, plant biology and genetic programming while engaging in scientific research at the UT Clayton Foundation Biochemical Institute in Austin. In 1982, he established the D.J. Sibley Centennial Professorship in Plant Molecular Genetics, the first endowed support for plant research at UT Austin. His other interests were music, ballet, art history, genealogy and philanthropy. His lifelong passion for languages centered upon Spanish, but included Latin, German, Creek and Pidgin English. He was an active participant in the Austin Symphony, was keenly interested in the archeology of Texas and was a founding member of the Texas Rock Art Society, Bat Conservation International, the Chihuahuan Desert Research Institute, Environic Foundation International and the Big Bend Studies Program at Sul Ross State University in Alpine.
D.J. died at age 91 on January 8, 2005.
CHARLES CAMERON SPRAGUE
1916 - 2005
Charles Cameron Sprague, M.D., the first president of The University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, died on September 17, 2005, in Dallas, at the age of 88.
Charlie joined UT Southwestern in 1967 to assume what was then the institution’s top administrative position, that of dean of Southwestern Medical School. Five years later, upon the school’s reorganization as a comprehensive academic medical center with three distinct schools (medical, graduate biomedical sciences and allied health sciences), he became the institution’s first president, serving in that capacity for 14 more years. Along the way, he became a dedicated member of the Philosophical Society of Texas, which elected him as its president in 1996.
Charlie was born in Dallas and had deep roots in the city, his father having been the city’s mayor from 1937-1939. His upbringing was grounded in devotion to community, church, and service--influences that stayed with him throughout his life. He went to public schools in the Oak Cliff area of Dallas, where he excelled as an athlete and scholar, and then enrolled at Southern Methodist University. Originally an accounting major, he whizzed through his classes effortlessly, spending much of his time as an all-conference football and basketball player and captain of both teams.
Dr. Sprague had no interest in being a doctor until he injured a knee during his junior year at SMU, after which he became fascinated with the process of healing. Too late to change majors, he added a fifth year of college to complete pre-med requirements and graduated with bachelors’ degrees in both science and business administration from SMU in 1940. A medical degree from the UT Medical Branch in Galveston followed, as well as a stint in the Navy and service in the South Pacific.
Charlie went to New Orleans in 1947 as an internal medicine resident at Charity Hospital and the next year he was appointed to the staff of Tulane University School of Medicine, where he was selected to establish a division of hematology. Soon after, he was awarded a hematology fellowship at Washington University in St. Louis and then one at Oxford University School of Medicine in England. He returned to Tulane as assistant professor and director of the hematology laboratory, was promoted to associate professor in 1954, became a full professor in 1962, and was appointed dean of the medical school the following year.
It was not to be at Tulane that Dr. Sprague’s vision for the future would be fulfilled, however. A few years into his tenure, his plan for the construction of a new medical school campus and university hospital was rejected by the Tulane governing board as “too risky,” leading him to be receptive to overtures from more far-sighted institutions.
In 1967, the ideal opportunity presented itself. UT Southwestern faculty members and Dallas community leaders were ready to launch a major upgrade of the medical school, and they recognized in Sprague the best possible leader for the effort.
Charlie returned to Dallas to lead an institution confronted with three pressing and somewhat divergent needs. For the school to flourish, it would have to grow substantially; major advances in basic sciences and research would be required; and, at the same time, formidable clinical issues arising from service commitments to the Dallas community and to Parkland Memorial Hospital would have to be addressed.
Charlie championed this triple development with courage and imagination. He persuaded the UT Board of Regents to support the creation of a life sciences center that brought together researchers and clinicians, and established a collaborative culture that set the school apart from other institutions and positioned it for greater breakthroughs. In addition, he pushed Dallas County commissioners and local citizens to support an $80 million bond package (the largest in Dallas’s history at the time) to bring Parkland up to the standards that would enable it to provide first-rate care to its patients and help attract top-flight faculty and students to the campus. His vision and his ability to build consensus guided UT Southwestern toward greatness as one of the leading medical schools in the nation.
After serving as dean and then president at UT Southwestern for 19 years, Charlie retired to become chairman of Southwestern Medical Foundation, a position he left in 1997 at age 80.
When Charlie arrived at UT Southwestern, the medical center consisted of three small academic buildings attached to Parkland Hospital. Filing cabinets and scientific equipment lined hallways and full-time professors squeezed into broom-closet-sized offices.
He initiated a $40 million building expansion, unprecedented at the time in Dallas; doubled medical school enrollment within 10 years; and expanded allied health and research training programs. Attention to recruiting world-class scientists and physicians to UT Southwestern was a crucial part of his plan, and many of the world’s brightest minds traveled to Dallas to join UT Southwestern’s ranks, lured by an atmosphere of community spirit and an institutional ambition for excellence.
In 1979, one of Sprague’s initial recruits, biochemistry chairman Ronald Estabrook, became the first person elected to the National Academy of Sciences from a Texas medical institution. In 1985, two months after Charlie had announced his plans to retire, UT Southwestern faculty members Michael Brown and Joseph Goldstein won the Nobel Prize, the first ever awarded to Texas researchers--a fitting culmination of Charlie’s two decades of leadership.
While taking UT Southwestern to new heights, Dr. Sprague earned the respect and admiration of thousands of friends and colleagues locally and nationally. He was an early member of the prestigious Institute of Medicine, and was elected president of the Association of American Medical Colleges. He played major roles in scores of community task forces, service organizations and church groups. The Charles Cameron Sprague Distinguished Chair in Biomedical Science, the Charles Cameron Sprague, M.D., Chair in Medical Science and the Charles Cameron Sprague, M.D., Chair in Clinical Oncology were endowed at UT Southwestern in his honor in 1982, 1998 and 2005. A new facility at UT Southwestern, the Charles Cameron Sprague Clinical Science Building, was named for him in 1989.
Charlie was preceded in death by his first wife, Margaret, and his second wife JoAnn, and is survived by his third wife, Alayne, his daughter, Cynthia Cameron Sprague Hardesty and her husband Steven of Plano, and his grandchildren Cameron Elizabeth Hardesty and Michael Sprague Hardesty. Other survivors include four stepdaughters and seven step-grandchildren.
Charlie was gregarious, with a booming cheerful voice and an engaging smile. Large of stature and personality, he nevertheless was the opposite of intimidating. People of all levels flocked to him, liked him, and relied on him.
UT Southwestern, Dallas, and Texas were extraordinarily fortunate that Charlie agreed to become the medical school’s leader in 1967. He had an instinctive vision of what was required to move the institution to greatness and an ability to persuade everyone he dealt with of the importance and value of his goals. He was the classic example of the right man for the right job at the right time.
Charlie Sprague’s integrity and trustworthiness were absolute. He inspired and enriched the lives of all who had the privilege of working with him and learning from him. He was a giant in medicine and a wonderful human being.
ROBERT SWIFT TROTTI
Robert Swift Trotti was born in
Volunteering for military service in 1941 as an Army Private, he later served as an Infantry Captain in the United States Third Army in
After the military service Bob attended college at Stephen F. Austin in
After becoming a member of the State Bar Committee of Texas in 1951, he re-wrote the Business Corporation Act that was passed in 1955 by the State Legislature. Appointed First Assistant Attorney General in January 1953, Bob served for three years in that capacity under Attorney General John Ben Shepperd. Subsequently, he served as Chief of the Corporate Charter Division of the Department of State, was a member of the Administrative Law Committee of the State Bar Association, the American Bar Association, the Texas Bar Association, Travis County Bar Association and the Dallas Bar Association.
Bob was one of the founders of the Headliners Club, the most prominent club in
After leaving public office, he moved to
FRANK EVERSON VANDIVER
Frank Everson Vandiver, Civil War and WWI historian, university administrator and president, and former President of the Philosophical Society of Texas, died at his home in
Vandiver was born
Frank Vandiver began his scholarly career with a United States Civil Service appointment as Historian at the Army Service Forces Depot in
During his time at Rice he began life-long associations with many professional and learned organizations, including the Southern Historical Association, of which he was Vice President and President; the American Historical Association; the Society of American Historians, of which he became a Fellow and served as Councilor and on the Board of Directors; the Jefferson Davis Association, of which he was President; the Bicentennial Commission of Texas, of which he was Executive Director; the Texas State History Association, of which he was a Fellow; the United States Commission on Military History, of which he served on the Board of Trustees; the National Council on the Humanities, of which he was chairman of the education sub-committee and chaired numerous other committees; the P.E.N. American Center; and many more organizations. He was also a member of the Philosophical Society of Texas, of which he was President (1977-78); Phi Beta Kappa; and the Cosmos Club. He also served on the Editorial Board of The Papers of Jefferson Davis, of which he was Chief Advisory Editor, and The Papers of U. S. Grant. His many awards and distinctions in addition to the aforementioned Rockefeller and Guggenheim Fellowships included the Carr P. Collins Prize from the Texas Institute of Letters, the Harry S. Truman Award from the Kansas City Civil War Round Table, the Outstanding Civilian Service Medal from the Department of the Army, the Outstanding Graduate Alumnus Award from Tulane University, an honorary MA from Oxford University, and an honorary Doctorate of Humanities from Austin College.
In 1979 Vandiver was named President of North Texas State University (now the
He was appointed president of Texas A&M in 1981, and although his tenure there was much longer and smoother it was not without rough patches. Early in his administration the Board of Regents fired and replaced the football coach without his approval. He felt the move “irreparably damaged” the presidency and offered to resign. He withdrew that offer only after the regents agreed to involve him more closely in future decisions of such magnitude. Another serious challenge occurred in 1984, when a member of the Corps of Cadets died as a result of a hazing incident. He took swift action to further reinforce the University’s prohibition on such activities. The other major challenge of Vandiver’s administration occurred in 1986 when the legislature slashed the A&M budget along with that of all other public institutions. After a year of intense lobbying, the budget was restored to nearly the same level as in 1985.
Vandiver’s successes far outweighed the challenges of his term, however. The first Faculty Senate at Texas A&M was elected on his watch in 1983. In that same year, enrollment exceeded 36,000. Research funding surpassed $100 million and would reach $176 million by the end of his tenure. The university’s endowment passed the $1 billion mark. By the time he stepped down in 1988, A&M was among the top 10 universities in the country in recruiting National Merit Scholars. Despite the fact that he disagreed with the process that led to the hiring of Jackie Sherrill in 1982, the football team enjoyed a remarkable period of success during his tenure and Vandiver counted himself among the team’s biggest fans. A&M also reached a new level in faculty recruitment, wooing two Nobel laureates, a Pulitzer Prize winner, and several members of the national academies of sciences and engineering to its ranks. He also worked to create joint study and research programs with foreign universities and to open more opportunities for study abroad for A&M students. Perhaps his most lasting achievement was in instigating the space-grant program, which he proposed to Senator Lloyd Benson. The program was implemented by NASA and A&M added “space grant” status to its “land” and “sea grant” designations. Today A&M is one of only a few universities to enjoy this triple distinction.
Vandiver was first and foremost a historian, however. His involvement in the Jefferson Davis papers, the U. S. Grant papers, and numerous scholarly organizations have already been mentioned. A specialist in the confederacy and the Civil War, he edited and authored over 20 books and wrote numerous articles in scholarly journals as well as over 100 reviews in many national newspapers, including the New York Times, the New York Herald Tribune, and the Saturday Review of Literature. He was also a highly regarded historian of WWI. His book, Black Jack: The Life and Times of John J. Pershing (Texas A&M University Press, 1977), was a finalist for the National Book Award.
After stepping down as president of Texas A&M in 1988, Vandiver returned to teaching and research. He held the John H. and Sara Lindsey Chair in Liberal Arts and also headed the Mosher Institute for Defense Studies, now known as the Mosher Institute of International Policy Studies, for which he raised the money to found during his presidency. Vandiver also remained active in and on the boards of several organizations, among them the
He married Susie Smith, with whom he had three children, Nita, Nancy, and Frank Alexander. She died in 1979. In 1980 he married Renee Aubry Carmody, who, along with his three children and six grandchildren, survived him.
STEWART G. WOLF
1914 – 2005
Stewart Wolf was a Renaissance man. He was a physician, teacher, administrator, researcher, scholar, provocateur, and benefactor, and he performed them all with care and dignity. Stewart’s creativity, approachability, genuineness, and intellectual curiosity created a presence that attracted students, peers, and colleagues to him as a role model. It is not surprising, therefore, that Stewart’s career included academic appointments in medicine, physiology, neurology, psychiatry, and the behavioral sciences. He was an avid interdisciplinarian in his research of “gray areas” in medicine. I would often observe him jotting down ideas in a small notebook he carried in his shirt pocket as he was stimulated by ideas in lectures and symposia. His active, probing mind, and his willingness to take risks in addressing many controversial questions, will be missed beyond the boundaries of medicine. During his distinguished research career he studied the effect of emotional states, including stress, on the gastrointestinal system, the cardiovascular system, and endocrine function. He conducted important studies on the effects of placebos and on the effects of social integration and social support on health and disease.
Stewart was also an excellent physician. He had a keen interest in “the patient as a person” and was a careful observer, listener, and advocate of those under his care. He was dismayed by the bureaucratization of medicine and its effects on Hippocratic ideals.
The broadness of Stewart’s lifelong interests stem from his formal education first at the Friends School in Baltimore, Maryland, a year at L’Ecole Alsacienne in Paris, and Phillips Academy. After two years at Yale University he transferred to Johns Hopkins where he received both his A. B. and M. D. degrees. After receiving his M. D., Stewart interned at Cornell-New York Hospital where he collaborated with Dr. Eugene DeBois and later Dr. Harold G. Wolf on studies of pain, neurogenic fever, and the genesis of peptic ulcer. It was his long-term study of one of his patients, Tom, who had a gastric fistula, that led to his first book, titled Human Gastric Function, which became a classic.
Stewart Wolf’s career later included academic appointments at the University of Oklahoma Medical Center, the University of Texas Medical Branch as Director of the Marine Biomedical Research Center, and after his retirement, as Vice President of St. Luke’s Hospital at Bethlehem, Pennsylvania, and Professor of Medicine at Temple University. Throughout his career Stewart enabled young scientists and research fellows the opportunity to work with him and other investigators from throughout the world during summers at Tots Gap Medical Research Laboratories, a small institute he founded in 1958 located in Northeastern Pennsylvania. At Tots Gap, after his retirement, Stewart continued his research into the mechanisms of cardiovascular disease and sudden death, holding interdisciplinary colloquia and hosting professional meetings. He continued to see patients as a consultant on social security disability cases. He also assumed the editorship of the official Journal of the Pavlovian Society, Integrative Physiological and Behavioral Science.
Stewart’s skill in tennis and his work ethic were unmet challenges for his colleagues. He wrote 35 books and monographs, 77 book chapters, and 437 scientific papers, and was a consultant to institutions throughout the world. He received an Honorary Degree from the University of Göteborg, Sweden, an Award for Outstanding Stress Research from the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, the prestigious Hans Selye Award from the International Congress on Stress, as well as a Regents’ Professorship, and a Dean’s Award for Distinguished Service from the University of Oklahoma College of Medicine.
It is ironic that it was Alzheimer’s disease that ended more than 60 years of his continuing contributions to understanding how the brain works. He is survived by his wife and two of his three children.
At our last encounter Stewart gave me a copy of a privately printed essay he had discovered written by a namesake, Marcus Wolf, in 1867. The theme was…. “ideas generate and form mind, and not mind ideas!” He smiled as he penciled a reminder in his pocket notebook to learn more about the author of the essay.
John G. Bruhn