PSTX Seal

Memorials

REX GAVIN BAKER JR.

1920 - 2004      

 

Rex Gavin Baker, Jr, born in Beaumont, died March 27, 2004 in Houston at the age of 83.  Affectionately know as “Pete,” he was a man of many parts.

 

A high school football star, he earned a degree in economics in 1947 at The University of Texas. He was a member of Kappa Sigma Fraternity.  He served as a Naval Officer in both the Pacific and European Theatres. Following service to his country he earned a law degree from “The University” in 1947.

 

He returned to Houston, became immersed in the law, in business and civic activity. In 1952 he founded Southwestern Savings and Loan Association, beginning a long association with and leadership of that part of the financial world. He was an active director of Western National Bank.

 

His association with “The University” was extensive.  He endowed a Chair of Natural Resources in the School of Law and Professorships in Economics and at the Mc Donald Observatory.

 

He was named a distinguished alumnus in 1977 and in 1998 was one of four graduates to receive the prestigious Pro Bene Meritis Award.

 

He attended River Oaks Baptist Church where he was trustee, deacon, choir member and Sunday school teacher. He was one of the founders of their school. He served as Chairman of the Board of Houston Baptist University.

 

He was survived by his wife, three daughters and a son.

 

Pete was a loyal friend and family man, dogged in pursuit of his goals and a remarkable Texan whose positive influence will long be felt.

 

P.G.B.

  


 

ALBERT V. CASEY
1916-2002

  

Al Casey was a big, tough, funny Irishman, a Bostonian whose broad accent never faded, no matter how many places he lived and worked.  He was proud of his Harvard education, which he paid for himself, working three or four jobs at a time while he attended school.  As an undergraduate, he majored in economics, then enlisted in the Army during World War II, and returned to complete business school, concentrating in finance.  His association with Harvard served him well in his many private- and public-sector positions over the course of his long career, with friendships that opened doors and enriched his life. He loved Harvard.

 

Al was smart.  His mind was quick and practical, easily assimilating mountains of data, and arriving at action-oriented conclusions.  He was not intellectual, though he was curious and learned constantly.  One of his first assignments was compiling bond tables, performing the thousands of accurate calculations by hand that now would be done in seconds with today's technology, an exercise that gave him total facility with numbers.  He taught accounting ("Assets by the window, liabilities by the door") as one of his Harvard jobs.  He could spot a computational or accounting error a mile away, and delighted in finding mistakes in the small print of financial documents.  Woe to the investment banker who gave him a faulty prospectus.  He could be a terror.

 

With his MBA in hand, Al's first job was in New York at Railway Express in the finance department.  He was hired away by the Southern Pacific Railroad, which moved him and Ellie, to whom he was married for over forty years, to San Francisco.  Many years later, in his eighties, he could still cite the routes of the various railways in California and throughout the West, and describe the small towns (Sparks, Nevada, was a favorite) where Southern Pacific facilities were located.

 

His first  senior position was as President of the Times Mirror Company, publisher of the Los Angeles Times.  There he hit his stride, dealing with top Washington politicians as well as leaders in corporate world.  He resigned over an ethical matter that he could well have overlooked, setting a pattern for scrupulous behavior that characterized him always.

 

Al's most visible corporate assignment was as Chairman of American Airlines.  The company was in perilous shape when he took it over, with hardly enough cash to operate.  He refinanced it in Japan, a bold move for that time, and guided it to the leading position in its industry. He moved the company to Dallas to save on costs, learned to love country and western music and became Dallas's most enthusiastic booster.

 

Al's retirement from American opened the door for a series of high level assignments.  He joined the faculty of the Cox Business School at SMU, and taught there off and on for the rest of his life.  He left intermittently, first to chair First International Bankshares, a

flawed merger of two large Dallas banks, as it emerged from bankruptcy.  He served as United States Postmaster General under President Reagan, and  reorganized and streamlined the postal service.

 

His most important post was his last, as Chairman of the Resolution Trust Corporation, a position offered to him by Alan Greenspan, Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank, and President George H.W. Bush. The RTC was established to dispose of the hundreds of billions of dollars of assets--financial and real estate--of failed savings and loans in the late eighties.   It was the biggest financial assignment of Al's generation, a job that nobody thought could be done. Congress was under constant pressure from constituents to interrupt the process of selling the assets, and Al acted fearlessly to maintain momentum, selling almost all of it back to the private sector by the time the Clinton Administration came into office.

 

Personally, Al was a fierce gin rummy and dominos player.  He enjoyed a drink.  He held court at his camp, Lost Angels, at the Bohemian Grove each summer.  He had no interest in social position ("There are two kinds of guys: the ones who get things done and the ones who sit around deciding who can belong to the club.").  He had a school teacher's

attitude toward money, which was never particularly important to him. He said, "You don't have to be mean to be tough," and proved it every day.  He was consistently thoughtful to those around him, and inspired loyalty.  His friends would do anything for him.  He slept through the symphony and was actively hostile to opera, but enjoyed painting and sculpture.  He loved a good fight. He earned the affection of the people who worked for him, particularly at American.  He would dash past a long line of irritable customers to board his plane, and call back to the embattled American employees at the counter, "Take the rest of the day off!"

 

Al was devoted to Ellie, who died in 1989, and their two children. Following Ellie's death, he and Patricia Patterson kept steady company.

 

Al died on July 10, 2004, of a heart attack at home in Dallas, at the age of 84.

P.P.

 

 

 


 


GILBERT M. DENMAN JR.

1921-2004

 

 

Gilbert M. Denman, Jr., a member of the Philosophical Society of Texas since 1965, died in San Antonio on Sunday, may 16, 2004.  He was born in 1921, the only son of Gilbert M. Denman, Sr. and Pearl Zilker Denman.  He was one of the outstanding philanthropists in San Antonio’s history, taking an active role in the building of Trinity University, the San Antonio Museum of Art, and the San Antonio Botanical Center.  He more than anyone in his generation had the vision for what he wished these institutions to be and he had the resources necessary to make this vision take place.  His death will lave a void in San Antonio that will be hard to fill.

 

Gilbert attended Jefferson High School in San Antonio, the University of Texas where he entered as a 15 year-old in 1936, the University of Texas Law School where he graduated in 1942.  At the University he was a member and president of the Sigma Chi fraternity.  His grandfather, Judge Leroy G. Denman was a Texas Supreme Court Justice and his father Gilbert Denman, Sr. was active in the practice of law in San Antonio.  He is survived by two cousins, Leroy Denman, Jr. and Mrs. Margaret Whisenant Block.

 

After service in the Navy during World War II, he took his place with his father and cousin in the law firm of Denman, Franklin and Denman.  He was active in that role until his death.  He was also chairman of the San Antonio Bank and Trust Company which was sold later to the Bank of the Southwest.

 

One of his greatest achievements was the stature Trinity University has received nationwide.  The University was moved to San Antonio in 1942.  Gilbert was a Trustee for 39 years.  He was Chairman in 1970-73, but these responsibilities do not in any way reflect his unbelievable contribution to the institution.  He notice that approximately 25% of the student at the University were Roman Catholics and that they did not have a Chaplain.  He provided funds for them to have an active Chaplain with a service every Sunday in the Trinity Chapel.  He noticed at the entrance of the University some land that had never been landscaped.  He gave funds for a running track in that area, not only for Trinity students, but also for the neighborhood as well.  The Trinity Press had been discontinued and it was Gilbert’s desire for it to be re-established.  He saw to it that funds necessary to bring this about were at hand.  Always he wanted the very best for Trinity University and through his efforts with the Ewing Halsell Foundation and the George Brackenridge Foundation, he made numerous commitments to that end – endowed scholarships, endowed professorships, buildings, whatever it took.

 

Since 1926, San Antonio had enjoyed the wonders of the Witte Museum, established primarily for natural history, but encompassing all areas of the arts.  It was Gilbert’s push that helped the Witte establish what is now known as the San Antonio Museum of Art in the old Lone Star Brewery on Jones Avenue.  With the help of Director Jack MacGregor, he saw the vision of putting a museum in that old industrial complex.  He was fiercely determined that this museum would first be a unique structure and second would hold priceless objects of art.  Under his sponsorship, the museum raised the money to buy the building and have it redone.  Then he stayed with the project, contributing his enormous Greek and Roman collection for what is now known as the Gilbert Denman Collection at the museum.  His presence was never obvious, but his strong determination produced what will ultimately be one of the finest museums in the State of Texas.

 

His last major achievement was building the San Antonio Botanical Center in 1989.  M. Emilio Ambasz had designed this most complicated and beautiful glass conservatory to be placed on George Breckenridge’s land near New Braunfels Avenue, built by the firm of Guido and Company, an almost impossible task.  Gilbert saw that it got done and was then interested in delivering the center to the City of San Antonio for its maintenance.  It attracts enormous attendance annually.

 

Gilbert lived on Mockingbird Lane on a hill overlooking the City of San Antonio in a house built by his mother and father.  Many of the building materials came from the Sullivan home in downtown San Antonio.  It sat on 14 acres with a pond on the side.  Many festival occasions were spent by San Antonians as Gilbert’s guests.  He owned the famous El Capote Ranch on the Guadalupe River near Seguin.  This ranch was purchased by his family in 1897 and Gilbert left it in his will to one of his cousins to continue family ownership.  Mr. Ewing Halsell was one of Gilbert’s clients in his law practice.  He was a famous rancher and cattleman who died in 1965 leaving his entire estate to the Ewing Halsell Foundation where Gilbert was Chairman.  At Gilbert’s death, this foundation had $100 million, half of it came from the dale of the Farias Ranch in South Texas, on of Gilbert’s last important pieces of business for Mr. Halsell.  He was also Chairman of the George W. Brackenridge Foundation, established primarily for education.  These two positions consumed a large part of Gilbert’s active business life in the last 20 years.  He was also a member of the Blaffer Foundation in Houston and for many years spent a generous amount of time handling the affairs of hi long-term clients.  He negotiated an arrangement between the Roman Catholic Church and the state on the ownership and responsibility of the San Antonio Missions.  It gave both parties a clear understanding of their responsibility and an opportunity to redo these missions and insure their long-term value to the community.

 

For many years, Gilbert was an active collector of Greek and Roman antiquities.  This interest began when he was in Rome in his 40s, when he realized that these priceless antiques could be bought.  He began a lifetime of collecting which never stopped.  He would add pieces with regularity, housing them first in his apartment on the San Antonio River at 215 Losoya and then in the old engine room of the San Antonio Museum of Art where he established the Ewing Halsell Wing of the museum housing his collection.  It is one of the dramatic opportunities to see Greek and Roman art in the country.

 

Gilbert Denman was a friend of San Antonio and of its citizens.  He gave himself fully to the job of making it a finer city in which to live with the arts, education, with a sense of commitment and vision.  He was a true philosopher in every sense of the word.  He treasured his membership in the Philosophical Society of Texas and with its members.  We will long remember Gilbert as one of our finest.

 

A.B.D.  


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JAMES M. HARGROVE
1922 - 2004

James Ward Hargrove was born in Shreveport, Louisiana in 1922 to Reginald Henry and Hallie Ward Hargrove.  He moved to Houston with his parents and brothers at an early age where he attended Montrose Elementary School, and Sidney Lanier Jr. High School.  He then attended Sewanee Military Academy and later Rice Institute (later known as Rice University).  In 1942 he married Marian Elizabeth Hargrove.  While at Rice he was named to Phi Beta Kappa, graduating in the class of 1943.  Always loyal to Rice, in 1960 he was named to their Board of Governors.

He was called to active duty by the US Army in 1943, where he was a member of a team responsible for interrogating prisoners of war in Europe, and experience he later recorded in his book “The Way It Was.”

           

He returned from Army service in 1945 and joined Texas Eastern Transmission Corp. in Shreveport, LA in 1947, a pipeline firm developed by his father and his father’s associates.  Over the course of the next 22 years he served in a number of capacities, culminating as Sr. Vice President of Finance and Director.  In 1959 he moved with the headquarters of Texas Eastern from Shreveport to Houston.

           

Jim left Texas Eastern in 1969 to go to Washington to serve as Asst. Postmaster General for Finance.  While there he was instrumental in the reorganization of the Post Office into the semi-autonomous US Postal Service.

           

In 1976 he was appointed US Ambassador to Australia by President Gerald Ford.  At the end of Ford’s administration he returned to Houston.  By coincidence his departure from that country coincided with a visit to Australia by Her Royal Majesty, the Queen of England.  Impressive celebrations in her honor took place which Jim always referred to as actually being for him “though, of course, she never knew it.”

           

On returning to Houston, he joined the investment management firm of Vaughn, Nelson, and Boston, later renamed Vaughn, Nelson and Hargrove.  He was also on the Board of Directors to Transco Energy Co., Inc, and Blount International Inc.

           

Jim died on Sunday, July 25, 2004, survived by his wife, Marian, and his children, James Ward Hargrove Jr. and wife Linda of Austin; Florence Hargrove Ray, Thomas Marion Hargrove and wife Lizzy, and William Henry Hargrove and wife Lynn, all from Houston; as well as grandchildren, great grandchildren, nieces, nephews, cousins in-laws and friends from everywhere he went in his 81 years.  Together from childhood, Jim and Marian traveled the world during their marriage years, meantime generously supporting their primary areas of interest, in particular the Presbyterian Church.  Always a devout Christian, Jim’s loyalty to the First Presbyterian Church of Houston was paramount.  He was an active elder for many years as well as teacher of an especially popular bible class.

           

A memorial to him was entered in to the permanent minutes of the Session of the First Presbyterian Church of Houston on the 21st of September, 2004, AD.

E.K.

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

JACK S. JOSEY
1916 - 2003

 

Jack Smyth Josey, son of a Spindletop-era wildcatter, who became a petroleum engineer, war hero, and oil and real estate entrepreneur, died of heart complications Thursday at his winter home in California.  He was 86.

 

A 1939 graduate of The University of Texas at Austin, Mr. Josey earned a Bachelor of Science degree in petroleum engineering.  During his career he became Chairman of the Board of Josey Oil Company in Houston and assembled an Austin ranch which later became the Lakeway community on Lake Travis near Austin.  Joseys friends criticized him for paying the “exorbitant” price of $45 per acre for the Lake Travis land which they said was “not even fit for goats.” 

 

Appointed to a six-year term on the University of Texas Board of Regents in 1965 by Governor John Connally, Mr. Josey was twice elected to the position of board Vice-chairman. One of many accomplishments on the Board was his handling of the Larry Caroline affair during the turbulent 1960’s. The University refused to pay Professor Caroline’s salary because of his controversial public comments. With UT threatened with blacklisting over academic freedom, Josey solved the problem by volunteering and paying Caroline’s salary from his own pocket.  Upon completion of Joseys tenure Chairman of the Board Frank C. Erwin, Jr. stated in a proclamation that Josey’s “gregarious nature and tenacious dedication toward these specific accomplishments within the System that yielded a greater and more balanced distribution of the System’s offerings to our State’s citizenry have resulted in the establishment of new institutions that will forever stand as a testimony to his service.”

 

Mr. Josey also served on the boards of Rice University and was Chairman of Hermann Hospital.  For many years he was Chairman of the charitable Robert A. Welch Foundation.

 

The family had deep roots in East Texas and the state.  His great-grandfather, George W. Smyth signed the Texas Declaration of Independence and was the first Land Commissioner of Texas.  Josey’s father, Lenoir  M. Josey, sold an ice company in Beaumont during the Spindletop era to invest in drilling for oil.  After succeeding in oil, Lenoir Josey moved the family into one of the first mansions in River Oaks in Houston.

 

Lenoir M. Josey, II, Jack Josey’s son, said people often mistakenly linked his father to the stories of his grandfather’s lifestyle as a beloved nightfly and legendary gambler.

 

“My father was a businessman, war hero and a friend of education who many people admired,” he said.  “Whereas my grandfather was the wildcatter, my father went on to become a petroleum engineer bringing more technology to our family oil company.”

 

Jack Josey grew up in Houston.  He graduated from San Jacinto High School in 1934 in the same class as Walter Cronkite.  The two remained lifelong friends. In fact, in 1934 Cronkite was elected Most Popular Boy of San Jacinto High School, and Josey’s high school and college sweetheart, Elva Johnson, was elected Most Popular Girl. He married Elva and they had three children.

 

While at UT Josey was a student leader and officer of the Texas Cowboys and President of Kappa Sigma. His little brother in the fraternity was Dr. Denton Cooley, another lifelong friend.

 

The day after the bombing of Pearl Harbor Josey volunteered to serve in the Navy.  Assigned as the gunnery officer on a destroyer escort, he saw many battles in the South Pacific, earning a Bronze Star for shooting down three kamikaze pilots in the battle of the Coral Sea thus thwarting their attempt to destroy an aircraft carrier.  He and his ship  survived the terrible 1943 typhoon in the Pacific only by filling all their empty fuel tanks with sea water as ballast. The typhoon snapped the mast off his ship and capsized and sank most of the Navy vessels accompanying his destroyer.  He was extremely proud to have witnessed from the deck of his ship the Marine flag raising on Mount Suribachi at Iwo Jima and was forever impressed by the valor and bravery of the young marines in the Pacific.

 

Josey loved to travel and collect art and antiques.  He sponsored dozens of scholarships anonymously and helped many charities.

 

He was predeceased by his second wife, Gretchen  Bryan Josey.  He is survived by his wife, Donna, daughter Carolyn Josey Young, and sons Robert A, Josey, II, and Lenoir M. Josey, II, and first wife, Elva Johnson Josey Johnston.

 

 

Lenoir M. Josey II

 

 


 

 

 

 

 

 

AMY FREEMAN LEE

 1914 - 2004

 
Dr. Amy Freeman Lee was born in San Antonio, Texas, to Julia Freeman and Joe Novich on October 3, 1914.  She spent her early years in Seguin.  After her mother’s death in 1918, her grandmother Emma Freeman adopted her legally.  In 1929 the family moved to San Antonio to enroll Amy in St. Mary’s Hall.  She attended the University of Texas and graduated from Incarnate Word College where she earned several degrees.

 

Born to a family with strong ranching roots, Amy was a skilled horsewoman who competed nationally.  While riding she broke her neck and back in separate riding accidents, yet never gave up her enthusiasm for horses.  In a characteristic stand, she took opposition to circus, rodeo, bullfighting and other animal bashing spectacles.  She was well skilled in ranching management, having helped run the extensive Freeman family holdings.

 

Dr. Lee’s profound reverence for life was the guiding principles in her distinguished career as artist, educator and humanitarian.  Although she was married for three years to Ernest Lee, an aide to Den. Dwight Eisenhower during World War II, she had no children of her own.  As a teacher and humanitarian she touched the lives of enumerable people, young and old alike.  A Quaker by choice, she described her spiritual convictions as based in the concept of reverence for the unity of life.  She fought against racism and discrimination from her earliest years and was among the staunch supporters of the pecan shelters strike in San Antonio.

 

In recent years she made presentations on San Antonio’s history discussing racial and social equality.  She was appointed by the Supreme Court of Texas to serve on the Grievance Oversight Committee, the Lawyer Discipline Commission and was elected to the Board of Trustees of the Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism.  She was an artist, art critic, poet, writer and philanthropist who numbered many distinguished artists among her close friends.  She was an early supporter of the Witte Museum, a founder of the San Antonio Art League and later of the Texas Watercolor Society.  She amassed a superb collection of art by many of the leading contemporary artists of her day and made important donations to the McNay, the San Antonio Museum of Art and other museums.  Beginning in the 1950s Lee served as a member of the Incarnate Word College’s Fine Arts Advisory Council.  In 1973 she assumed the presidency of the Board of Trustees of the College, a position she held until 1990.  During that time she encouraged the College’s theatre, music, and arts program and improved its dormitories.  She also spent many years as Chairman of the Board of the Houston-based Wilhelm Schole International created by her friend Marilyn Wilhelm, an adopted daughter. 

 

She was a founder of the San Antonio Symphony where she nurtured a passion for chamber music and supporter many other musical organizations.  She was deeply involved with the San Antonio Lighthouse for the Blind and funded scholarship awards there in addition to serving on the Board.  She was a strong advocate of the Bexar County Humane Society and Wildlife Rescue and Rehabilitation. 

 

Among honors awarded Dr. Lee was given the Joseph Wood Krutch Medal by the Human Society of the United States, its highest recognition which she received in 1985.  She was given the American Civil Liberties Union’s Maury Maverick Award for lifetime achievement.  She received the first Living Treasure of San Antonio Award for outstanding achievement as Artist, Scholar, and Humanist.  She was elected to the Women’s Hall of Fame by the Governors of Texas Commission for Women.  She is survived by her foster daughter, Marilyn Wilhelm, her god daughter, Carol Karotkinn and a second cousin, Maxine Goodwin.   

 

She died on July 20, 2004 in San Antonio where she will always be remembered as one of those who in her lifetime helped build the City’s uniqueness. 

 

B.D.


 

 

 

JAMES MATTOX MOUDY
1916 - 2004

 Dr. James Mattox Moudy, chancellor emeritus of Texas Christian University, died on August 6, 2004, in Fort Worth. Dr. Moudy served as TCU’s chancellor during a pivotal time in the university’s development. He played a key role in higher education as chairman of the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, the organization that serves as the voice of private education in the United States. He also was moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the highest elected office in the denomination.
 Dr. Moudy entered TCU as an economics/sociology major in 1939, but his heart was set on becoming a minister. After serving as a U.S. Army Chaplain in Europe and earning a Silver Star and Purple Heart, he returned to TCU to complete a bachelor of divinity degree from Brite Divinity School. While earning the degree, he served as assistant minister of University Christian Church and later of A&M Christian Church in College Station.


 In 1953, Dr. Moudy earned the Ph.D. from Duke University, where he was a Kearns Fellow and member of Phi Beta Kappa. He then became dean of instruction at Atlantic Christian College in Wilson, North Carolina.

 
 Dr. Moudy began his career in administration at TCU in 1957, holding the posts of dean of the graduate school, vice chancellor for academic affairs and executive vice chancellor. He was named TCU’s chancellor in 1965. Dr. Moudy advanced graduate education at TCU and elevated the university’s academic stature by establishing six doctoral programs along with the undergraduate honors program. When asked to pick his most significant contribution, he singled out the establishment of a Phi Beta Kappa chapter on campus. TCU Chancellor Emeritus William E. Tucker, who succeeded Moudy, remembered him as “A gentleman of first rank and an exceptional intellect, [who] epitomized excellence and dignity as well as moral fortitude. Through his principled and unflappable leadership, he played a pivotal and indeed decisive role in grounding and shaping the university today.”


 Dr. Moudy also headed the premier national and state organizations representing private higher education. In addition to chairing the National Association of Independent Colleges and Universities, he chaired the Independent Colleges and Universities of Texas. Dr. Moudy was a key architect of the Texas Tuition Equalization Grant, a state fund that for more than a quarter of a century has provided financial assistance to students attending private schools in Texas.


 Dr. Moudy was a leader of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), the denomination with which TCU is affiliated. He served as chairman of the board of the Division of Higher Education and president of the Texas Council of Church Related Colleges. In 1969, he became moderator of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), its highest elective office, and held the position until 1971. “Jim Moudy was a man of informed and vibrant faith to the very core of his being,” Dr. Tucker says. “University Christian Church was integral to his life and work.”


Current TCU Chancellor Victor J. Boschini, Jr., recalled that “Dr. Moudy told me that his chancellorship was a calling, in the same way that individuals are called to the ministry. He encouraged me to think of the job in the same way.”

 

R.T.

 


 WILLIAM DEMPSEY SEYBOLD
1915 - 2004

The State of Texas lost a most distinguished and respected citizen with the passing of Dr. William Dempsey Seybold who died in Dallas, Texas, on July 18, 2004, at the age of 89.  Known by close friends and colleagues as “Bill,” Dr. Seybold was recognized nationally as an outstanding chest surgeon.  His entire life was marked by honors and high achievement.           

Bill Seybold was born in Temple, Texas, on February 23, 1915, to Claude Dempsey and Lillian Cochrane Seybold.  Although Temple was a small city, it was an important medical center and Bill Seybold had an uncle in the city who was a leading physician.  It was in this environment that young Seybold decided to become a doctor.  After graduating from Temple High School in 1932, he attended the University of Texas for two years, as a premedical student, later receiving a Bachelor of Science degree in 1936.  He entered the University of Texas Medical Branch in 1934.  At that time, medical students were still doing home deliveries.  He graduated in 1938 as a member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Society. 

          

Seybold remained in Galveston for two years as an instructor of anatomy.  While instructor, he became famous in anatomical circles for making a discovery in human anatomy (lateral ligaments attached to the spinal cord).  The human body had been dissected by hundreds of anatomists but this was probably the first published description of a new anatomical finding in four centuries.

 

Seybold wanted to enter the new field of chest, or thoracic, surgery.  He won a much sought internship at the Barnes Hospital, Washington University, in St. Louis, Missouri, under Dr. Evarts Graham who was the world’s first surgeon to remove an entire lung with the patient surviving.  In 1941, Seybold obtained a surgery fellowship a the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota, majoring in chest surgery.  After an interruption, when he served as a ship’s surgeon in the U.S. Navy during World War II, he returned to the Mayo Clinic to complete his training.  After training, he won a coveted appointment as a chest and general surgeon on the Mayo Staff.

 

Although Seybold was honored and happy to be on the prestigious Mayo Clinic Staff, his wife had developed       multiple sclerosis, which was thought to become less severe in a warm climate.  Bill was a fifth generation Texas.  He often talked with his friend from medical school days, Dr. Mavis Kelsey, also a fifth generation Texan and a Mayo Staff member.  The two, along with Dr. William V. Leary, a mayo Staff member from Minnesota, decided to leave the security of the Mayo Clinic and try their luck in establishing a multi-specialty clinic in Houston, adjoining the fledgling Texas Medical Center.  This was at a time when critics said the concept of a Texas Medical Center would not succeed because it was located too far from downtown.  The Texas Medical Center and the Kelsey Seybold Clinic succeeded well beyond even the founders imaginations. 

 

Seybold spent the remained of his professional career in the Kelsey Seybold Clinic as Chief of Surgery and onetime Chief of Staff.  He spent years as Chief of Surgery and Chief of Staff at St. Luke’s Episcopal Hospital.  The William D. Seybold Chair of Surgery at St. Luke’s Hospital was established in his honor.  He was also on the surgical staff of Houston’s leading hospitals including the M. D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute.  Among the hospitals was the now defunct Harris County Tuberculosis Hospital which eventually closed after antibiotics began curing the disease.

 

Dr. Seybold became certified in both general and thoracic surgery.  He was a founding member of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery.  He held faculty positions at the Mayo Foundation, The University of Texas institutions in Galveston, M.D. Anderson Hospital and Tumor Institute, and the Post Graduate School of Medicine in Houston.  He became a Clinical Professor of Surgery at Baylor University College of Medicine where he served on the Teaching Research Committee and won an Excellence in Teaching Award.

 

Seybold was a member of many medical organizations.  He was never too busy to serve a leading role on boards and committees.  Among these groups were the American College of Surgery where he served on the Board of Governors, Membership Committee, Cancer Committee, and Texas Advisory Committee.  He also served in the American Association of Thoracic Surgeons; the Texas Surgical Society as President and Chairman of the Council; Western Surgical Society serving on the Program Committee; and the Texas Medical Association as Scientific Consultant to the State Journal, Chairman of the Section on Surgery, Chairman on Nursing and Chairman of Scientific Exhibits.  Seybold served on the Board of Directors, Advisory Board and Credentials Committee of the American Association of Medical Clinics.  He served as President of the American Cancer Society for the Harris County Unit, The Dallas County Unit and the Texas Division.  He was on the National Board of Directors, Executive Committee and other committees of the Multiple Sclerosis Society.  He served for years on the Board of Trustees of the Kelsey Seybold Foundation.

 

Bill Seybold also participated in a number of other organizations.  For the University of St. Thomas in Houston, he served on the Board of Directors and was named an Honorary Trustee for Life.  Most of all was his dedication to the University of Texas where he served on the Committee of 75; the Development Board and the President’s Club of the Medical Branch in Galveston where he received the Ashbell Smith Distinguished Alumnus Award and the Chancellor’s Council; and the Centennial Committee.  He created the Frances Rather Seybold and Frances Randolph Rather Seybold Endowed Scholarship and was honored by a gift from wife Adele in 1984 of a Lectureship in Surgery at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School in Dallas.

 

Seybold thoroughly enjoyed membership in the Philosophical Society of Texas where he was on the Executive Committee and was President in 1992.  He was a director of the Republic Bank of Houston.  When his close friend and Phi Delta Theta fraternity brother, Eugene Locke, ran for Governor of Texas in 1968, Seybold served as the chairman of the doctors election committee.  Years later the widow of Eugene Locke became Seybold’s second wife.  Seybold retired from practice in Houston in 1979.  He moved to Dallas in 1981, the home of his wife, where he again contributed to the affairs of the city including the Southwestern Research Foundation; the Chamber of Commerce; the Dallas Museum of Fine Arts, the Episcopal Church; and various volunteer charitable organizations.

 

While in practice, Seybold had no time for golf but after retiring he thoroughly enjoy the game.  He loved nature and the outdoors.  He made a lifetime study of plants and trees and enjoyed teaching children how to identify them.  He maintained a greenhouse where he grew orchids and the other plants.  He was well informed in history and biography which he enjoyed reading.  Bill Seybold enjoyed a wide circle of friends and kept up with them by writing hundreds of letters of congratulations or sympathy.  There was a large group of patients who admired him greatly, especially those whose health or life he saved.

 

Bill Seybold first married Frances Randolph Rather who died in 1977.  There were three children: Frances, who died as a youth of congenital heart disease; William R. Seybold, M. D.; and Randolph C. Seybold, M.D.   After his first wife died, Seybold married Adele Neely Locke, a longtime family friend.  She is the mother of John P. Locke, a member of the Texas Philosophical Society; Thomas N. Locke; and Aimee Locke Jacobe.  In all, there are nine grandchildren and three great grandchildren.  Seybold is also survived by his brother, Herbert Seybold, M. D.

 

The Texas House of Representatives honored Dr. Seybold’s memory with a resolution and the presentation to his widow of a Texas flag that flew over the Texas capitol in Dr. Seybold’s memory.  The Kelsey Seybold Clinic and St. Luke’s Hospital have honored his memory by establishing teaching funds in his name.

 

In addition to being an accomplished general surgeon, Dr. William Seybold was a pioneer in the field of chest surgery, the development of which paved the way to open heart surgery which has saved millions of lives.  Seybold trained dozens of young surgeons.  He was admired by his colleagues fro his surgical skill and knowledge.  He was also a pioneer in health care delivery as a founder of a large multi-specialty clinic which was among the first to develop a system of branch clinics and prepaid care.  Most of all, Bill Seybold will be remembered for his integrity, compassion, hard work, deep sense of responsibility, and devotion to his patients.

 M.K.

 


 

JEROME SUPPLE
1936 - 2004

Jerry Supple spent almost every chapter of his life in the Yankee Northeast until he came to serve as president of Texas State University in 1989.  From that very first day in the Lone Star State, he became a beloved Texan-because of his dedicated and very successful leadership of Texas State, his service to the educational and civic community, and the witness of his personal life, joy, and integrity.  Jerry was born in Winthrop, Massachusetts, on April 27, 1936.  He completed his bachelor’s of science degree in chemistry at Boston College, his doctorate in chemistry at the University of New Hampshire, and pursued a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California-Berkeley.

 

Jerry moved through the academic ranks from chemistry faculty member to acting president, serving at campuses in Plattsburgh, Fredonia, and Potsdam.  That experience gave him a very strong commitment to high standards of quality for all students and support for a great faculty.

 

He immediately saw the opportunity for Texas State University to be a regional model of service to the State’s diverse demographics and a place of nationally recognized faculty and programs.

 

Highlights of Jerry’s presidency at Texas State included:

 

  • Improved student retention from 57% to 75%;
  • Raised admissions standards several times, making it one of the most selective public universities in Texas;
  • Began offering its first doctoral degree programs;
  • Successfully completed the university’s first major gifts  capital campaign, raising more than $74 million;
  • Increased the amount of research funding from $5 million annually to $32 million.

 

While his campus was growing and becoming stronger, Jerry also contributed significantly to the region’s academic and civic leadership groups.  He led significant efforts to improve the accreditation process at the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.  He worked with other colleges and universities to develop the new multi-institutional teaching center in Round Rock.  He was an active civic leader in both Austin and San Marcos.

 

One of the reasons why Jerry was such an effective leader in so many arenas is that it was a joy to be with him.  He played as successfully as he worked and was known particularly for his love of folk music.  Jerry and his wife, Cathy, sang in the folk band The Newton Street Irregulars.

 

Jerry’s courage was painfully visible in the lat seven years of his life when he fought cancer.  During most of that time, he continued as president of Texas State and only reluctantly announced his retirement for August 2002.

 

Jerry died January 16, 2003.  He is survived by his wife, Catherine, son James and his wife Karlyn and grandson Keagan, sons Andrew and Paul, his sister and brother-in-law, 10 nephews and nieces, and 14 great nephews and nieces.

 

P.H.