PSTX Seal

Memorials

GEORGE CARMACK

1907-1995

 

George Carmack, his colleagues said, was a newspaperman. “For more than 60 years he wrote about presidents, princes and paupers, the famous and infamous—anybody who had a story to tell,” one of them wrote when he died October 28, 1995, age 88. Indeed, he was a fabulous story-teller (the true kind) and lived a fabulous newspaperman’s life.

           

George was born in Troy, Tennessee, and before he graduated from the University of Tennessee in 1927, he was writing for the Knoxville Sentinel. He worked as a reporter and editor in his native state before volunteering for the Army in World War II. He enlisted as a private and returned a lieutenant colonel from service in the Southwest Pacific.

           

In 1946 Carmack became editor of the Houston Press; when that paper closed in 1964 he served the Scripps-Howard Newspaper Alliance, covering the civil rights movement. In 1966 he was made editor of the Albuquerque Tribune. Corporate policy required him to retire at age 65 in 1973. However, George Carmack was not the retiring kind. With his wife, Bonnie, he drove to San Antonio, where they both became travel writers (she was the photographer of the team) for the San Antonio Express-News.

         

The Carmacks’ Saturday travel column was an instant success and made them famous across South Texas. George Carmack’s stories—they were more than mere travelogues—covered the world from Texas to Mexico to Siberia and drew more reader response than the paper’s top columnists. Over 16 years, George Carmack never missed a Saturday issue, a fact of which he was very proud. In 1989 he made his second retirement, though he still remained interested in anything that was news.

           

He was an ebullient person, a lively speaker, whose vast enthusiasm for seeking out stories that needed to be told never waned. He knew that in the next town, the next valley, over across the next border, there were people and places and events to interest readers. As a writer he had that knack—because he cared, he made us care, too.

           

George was preceded in death by his wife and companion, Bonnie, in 1993. He is survived by a daughter, Judy Carmack York and three grandchildren.

T. R. F.


 

GLORIA HILL PAPE

1924-1994

 

Gloria Ann Lester Hill Pape died on Tuesday, July 26, 1994, in Fredericksburg, Texas, where she had lived for many years. A memorial service for her was held in Fredericksburg at St. Barnabas Episcopal Church with the Reverend Robert Hibbs officiating.

 

Gloria was born in Houston on January 21, 1924, the daughter of John William Lester and Evelyn GohIman Lester. She married George Hill III on July 23, 1947. He died on June 1, 1975. Two or her children, George Hill IV and David Vanden Berge Hill preceded her in death.

 

A graduate of the Kincaid School in Houston, she also attended the Mount Vernon Junior College in Washington, D.C. She was graduated from the University of Texas with a Bachelor of Arts Degree in English.

 

In Houston she was a member of the Founders of the Houston Junior League, the Houston Garden Club, the Bryan Club, Tejas Club and Houston Country Club.

 

She married James Pape on May 26, 1984, in Fredericksburg where she had moved several years earlier. He survived her. There she was very active in community affairs from her beautiful home on the second floor of one of the old original Main Street buildings. She was a member of the Gillespie County Historical Society, the Pedernales Creative Arts Alliance, the Fredericksburg Federation and the Hill Country Memorial Hospital Foundation. She was one of the founders of the Oktoberfest and a member of the Marketplatz Redevelopment Commission and the Fredericksburg Food and Wine Fest Committee.

 

Statewide she was a member of the Philosophical Society of Texas, the Texas Historical Commission, the Texas Heritage Foundation and Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority.

          

Gloria Pape was an active member of the Houston and Fredericksburg communities. Her bright mind and demanding ways helped her "make a difference" in these two cities. She is greatly missed.

 

A. B. D.


 

 

JO STEWART RANDEL

1915-2002

 

Jo Stewart Randel, longtime member of the Texas Philosophical Society, died Sunday, May 5, 2002, at the age of 86. Mrs. Randel was born ont December 14, 1915, in Clarendon, where she attended McKillop School and Clarendon College. She worked for area newspapers in Clarendon, Paducah, and Memphis and was editor of the Paducah Post in 1935. In 1937 she married Ralph Randel and moved to Panhandle, where she and her husband owned and operated a car dealership until the mid 1980s.

 

Mrs. Randel started the Carson County Square House Museum in a cottage built in the 1880s. She served as director of the museum and was chairman of the Board of Trustees. At the time of her death she was chairman of the finance and development committee of the museum. Today the Museum houses 23,000 items, including 5,000 photographs. The Square House became the third museum in the state to receive accreditation from the American Association of Museums and, thanks to her efforts, it was for many years the smallest and best endowed Museum in Texas.

 

She completed nearly thirty documentaries on family history and on topics such as petroleum and ranching. She authored a four-volume history of Carson County called, A Time to Purpose, which won an award as outstanding area history, and a history coloring book entitled Land of Coronado.

 

Among her many offices, Mrs. Randel served as chairman of the Carson County Historical Commission for thirty years. She was a former trustee of the Amarillo Art Center, now the Amarillo Museum of Art; a former board member of Edward Thompson Seton Museum of New Mexico in Santa Fe; a founder and first board chairman of the Texas Museum Trustees Association; a board member of the Lone Star Drama in Galveston; an executive committee member of the Texas Historical Foundation; an honorary life member and former board chairman of West Texas State University Foundation; a board member of West Texas A&M University Fine Arts Foundation; a life member of the Parent-Teachers Association; a life member of Texas Fine Arts Commission; former chairman of the Texas Council for the Humanities; and a council member of the Mountain Plains Museum Association.

 

At the time of her death she was director of development and first vice president of the Texas Panhandle Heritage Foundation, Inc.; a life member of Amarillo Federated of Women's Club; a member the Governor’s Commission on Aging; a board member of the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum in Canyon; a member of the advisory board for the University of Texas at San Antonio Institute of Texan Cultures; a member of the development board for the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston; a member of the Board of Directors of the Amarillo Symphony Orchestra; and a board member of the Carson County Historical Commission.

 

The Amarillo Symphony named its chamber orchestra in honor the Randels for their support. When the Symphony created the Beethoven Award to honor longtime supporters, it chose Mrs. Randell as the first recipient.

 

She was a member of Delta Kappa Gamma Sorority, Daughters of the American Revolution, and an honorary member of the Palo Duro Chapter of the Daughters of the Republic of Texas as well as the Philosophical Society of Texas.

 

Her awards are numerous and include two scholarships funded in her honor at WTAMU; the Ruth Lester award for Historic Preservation (1971) from the Texas Historical Commission; the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce Outstanding Citizens Award (1976); the Texas Commission on the Arts Outstanding Individual Award (1978); the Texas Association of Museums Distinguished Service Award (1981); the WTAMU Hall of Fame Award (1985); the Amarillo Globe-News Woman of the Year (1985); the Texas Historical Commission John Ben Shepperd Award (1986); the Amarillo Chamber of Commerce Arts Committee Golden Nail Sesquicentennial Celebration Award (1986); the Texas Historical Commission Glenda Morgan Award (1987); the Amarillo Arts Committee Golden Nail Summit Award (1987) the Daughters of the American Revolution Certificate of Merit American Heritage Individual Achievement Award (1991); the Mountain-Plains Museum Association Hugo G. Rodeck for Award for Excellence (1992); Award of Merit from the American Association of State and Local History (1999); Friendship Award from the Girl Scouts (1999); Volunteer Fireman’s Award (1999); Texas Women’s Hall of Fame (by appointment of the Governor) (2000); and an honorary doctorate of arts degree from WTAMU (2001). The Texas Association of Museums named its annual trustee scholarship in her honor (1993), and she was named one of the five Most Influential Women of the Panhandle (1994) and to the list of One Hundred History Makers of the High Plains (2000) by the Amarillo Globe-News.

 

Both her husband and daughter, Margaret Randel Koons, who preceded her in death, greatly enjoyed attending the meetings of the Philosophical Society with her.

 

G.O.M.

 

 

 

 


RALPH HENDERSON SHUFFLER
1936-2001

 

 

The Rev. Dr. Ralph Henderson Shuffler 11 died on Easter Sunday, April 15, 2001, at the age of 65. He was born February 7, 1936, in Odessa to Henderson and Elnora Shuffler. He is survived by his wife of 42 years, Mary Lou Mason Shuffler; a son Dr. Samuel Henderson Shuffler and his wife Sarah Gedney Shuffler of Wellesley, Massachusetts; a daughter Sarah Shuffler Piel and her husband Michael Andrew Piel of Glaveston, Texas; two grandchildren, Samuel Mason Shuffler and Mary Katherine Piel; and a sister, Ragna Ann Case of Houston.

 

Ralph attended the University of the South, Sewanee, Tennessee, and Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas. In 1963 he was graduated from the Episcopal Seminary of the Southwest in Austin, Texas. In 1978 he received a Doctorate in Ministry from Texas Christian University in Fort Worth, Texas. He had a very bright mind and enjoyed using it to the fullest.

 

He began his life's calling in Tomball, Texas, at the Episcopal Church of the Good Shepherd. From there he was called to be the Rector of St. Matthew's Church in Beaumont, Texas. Later he was the Associate Rector at Trinity Episcopal Church in Galveston, Texas. The majority of his ministry was spent at St. David's Episcopal Church in San Antonio where he retired in 1997.

 

In honor of his father, R. Henderson Shuffler, founding Director of the Institute of Texan Cultures, San Antonio, and founder of the Odessa American newspaper, Ralph began the annual Cowboy Mass at St. David's timed to take place during the annual Texas Folklife Festival held on the Institute's grounds. The mass featured priests in denim vestments and the congregation outfitted in full western regalia.

 

A licensed psychotherapist, Shuffler also served as an adjunct associate professor of psychiatry at the University of Texas Medical School, Galveston. Dr. Shuffler was a member of the Philosophical Society of Texas, served on the Boards of the Trustees of Texas Military Institute and the University of the South. Preacher, mentor, counselor and loyal friend, he was well loved throughout the State of Texas

 

                                                                                                                        A.B.D.